AES operations in Panama have been crucial to take the country to where its stands in development and economic growth through sustained investments to provide a safe and reliable energy supply.
Standing strong as the main investor in Panama’s electricity market, AES most important contribution has been increasing its installed capacity in 194% in order to provide the most competitive energy prices in the national market.
Overall, AES Panama is currently the country’s largest electricity generator and Central America’s largest private hydroelectric generator, with more than $1,200 million in assets.
AES main costumers are the three electricity distribution companies operating in the country – Elektra Noreste, S.A., Empresa de Distribución Eléctrica Metro-Oeste, S.A. and Empresa de Distribución Eléctrica Chiriquí, S.A. – providing energy for more than 700,000 end users, which represents 95% of the company’s total energy sales. The remaining 5% is contracted to Large Costumers, which are clients with a monthly energy power demand of at least 100 kilowatts.
In Panama, AES generates 24% of energy the country needs to progress at the market’s most competitive prices through the operation of the hydroelectric plants of Bayano, La Estrella, Los Valles, Esti and Changuinola and the Estrella del Mar I thermal generation barge with a total installed capacity of 777 MW. This contributes to increase the country’s renewable energy sources while reducing dependence in fuel-based electricity generation.
The investments made by AES Panama have been product of vision and timely decisions, securing in mid and long term, energy in homes and small and large businesses.
AES operations in Panama are comprised of two companies: AES Panama, S.R.L. and AES Changuinola, S.R.L.